How to Shock a PebbleTec Pool
Have you opted for a stylish aggregate finish for your new swimming pool? Chances are, you’ve gone with PebbleTec, a standout provider of unique textured pool finishes.
Now, you need to learn how to take care of your new pool. In this PebbleTec guide, we’ll explore what to do in the early stages of PebbleTec pool ownership, and how to correctly ‘shock’ a PebbleTec pool to keep it fresh and hygienic.
What is PebbleTec?
Not feeling a traditional plaster finish? Instead, why not bring your pool to life with a stunning textured finish. PebbleTec is one of the industry’s leading providers of beautiful aggregate pool finishes, incorporating pebbles, glass beads and shells to give your pool a touch of texture.
Each unique blend is mixed in with water, pigment, cement and other additives, before being pneumatically applied to give even coverage. Once the spraying stage is complete, professionals will hand-trowel the material. After this follows a hardening period, pressure washing, and in some cases, a cleansing process to enhance the stunning effect.
What to do after your pool fills with water
A big part of pool ownership is managing pool chemistry. It’s important to get the balance right in a swimming pool, as this will regulate the safety and hygiene of the water.
Here are some things to bear in mind for a PebbleTec pool:
- Test your pool’s chemistry at least once a week
- Don’t add chlorine to your pool until pH is within the acceptable range
- Don’t enter the pool until the water has been properly balanced
- During pool start-up, you may notice some pebbles coming loose – this is normal
- Avoid using soft water until after the curing process
- Make sure to brush the pool as per the PebbleTec instructions
- Monitor your water balance closely after switching on the heater
- Follow full guidance from your pool professional and PebbleTec’s site
Next, you’ll need to make sure you’re shocking a PebbleTec pool regularly. But what is ‘shocking’ and how do you do it?
Step-by-Step: How to Shock a PebbleTec Pool
The purpose of a pool shock for a PebbleTec pool is to keep the water clean and swimmable, while also maintaining the beautiful aggregate finish.
What is pool shock?
Pool shock is the name for a chemical which users add to their pool water. Its oxidizing properties increase the amount of ‘free chlorine’ (so, chlorine that is able to bind chemically to other things), and this enables the chlorine to bind to algae, contaminants and bacteria to clean it. This keeps the pool hygienic and ensures your pebble finish stays looking good long into the future. There are several different types of pool shock available with different properties – simply ask your pool professional who can advise on which is best.
When should you shock your pool?
As standard practice, pool shocking should be conducted every 1 – 2 weeks, though always look to the advice of your pool expert. There are also other occasions where a pool shock is the recommended way to ‘reset’ the pool, such as after heavy use, storms, upon opening and reopening your pool for a season, or simply when you notice it looking a little murky.
How do I shock a PebbleTec pool?
- First, make sure the pool is balanced to the recommended pH, alkalinity and calcium hardness
- It’s always best to shock your pool after sunset. This is because UV rays can damage the free chlorine you’re trying to create
- Once you’ve added the chemical, as per the instructions, run the filter for around 8 hours afterwards. This is to help the removal of dirt, etc. Also, give your PebbleTec surface a brush to distribute the shock chemicals adequately
- It’s best to wait a full 24 hours after shocking before you use the pool again. This is so the pool can rebalance itself chemically so that it’s safe to swim in once again
- The ideal amount of chlorine is 30 ppm, though you may require more or less depending on your pool’s requirements. Follow instructions carefully to get the ratio that’s right for your pool
For full details on caring for a PebbleTec pool, please consult with your chosen pool builder, or browse the PebbleTec website for further information.
Seeking a custom-built pool with a flawless finish? Here at Master Pools of Austin, we create award-winning pools to match your style preferences and functional needs. We can also provide PebbleTec aggregate finishes if you’re searching for that unique final touch. Want to know more? Simply get in touch with our team today – we’re the go-to pool builders for Austin and surrounding cities.